The History of the Hotel
The Van der Valk Hotel Hildesheim is a recreation from the past on one of the most beautiful market squares in northern Germany. The classical, modern interior design forms a pleasant contrast to the impressive landmarked façade recreated from years ago. The three buildings are a composition that represents the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. On the left hand side is the Stadtschänke (Town Tavern), a half-timbered house dating back to 1666, and on the right, also half-timbered, is the Woollen Weavers’ Guild house, which dates back another century. Between the two facades is the narrow Rococo House first built in 1757. The delicate facade is richly decorated with stucco ornaments.
The historical market square as well as most of the town was destroyed in an air raid on 22 March 1945. The town was rebuilt quickly, but the Stadtschenke, Rococo House and Woollen Weavers’ Guild house were not restored to their original splendour until the 1980s. The hotel facade is one of the major attractions on the market square.